Students Guide To College
Choosing a college can be a huge decision for anyone looking to further their education. There are several different very important factors when it comes to picking a college. Choosing a major and deciding on the location and school itself are essential, but the steps to getting into college are much more involved. Students need to know how to apply, what paperwork must be completed, and more importantly, how to pay for their new education. When making such a life changing decision, it is important to understand how the world of higher education works. Thorough research and having a full comprehension of the college application process can make your decision much easier.
What to Study: Degrees, Majors, and Programs
Before you decide on a college, you need to know which major you plan to choose. Think about the things you are passionate about and what your ultimate career goals are. Whether you plan to be a teacher, doctor, scientist, or business owner, each plan should be customized for your individual desires. Think about the program you want to join, and then make your college decision based around it. Look for fully accredited schools that specialize in the major you are interested in. Then, narrow your choices down depending on the various requirements they have. Read the school’s website to find out more about the programs they offer so you have a clearer vision of what is in store for you. By deciding on a major, you will have a clearer vision of the school that will be right for you.
- What Should I Study in College? – This article discusses the hottest majors and careers out there today.
- Choosing a College Major – Use this helpful guide to assist you with deciding on the right college major for you.
- How to Chart Your Ideal Path – This website can help you determine which major will suit you the best.
- How to Pick the Right High School Courses – Read here to help you make smart choices in high school that will prepare you for college.
Where to Go: Choosing the Right College
Of course, deciding which college is right for you is the most important part of the process. Do you want to find a campus that is close to home, or do you prefer to move to a different state? Is a private university or public college more your style? Do you want to live in a dorm or off campus? What kinds of extracurricular activities does the college provide? These questions and many more should be asked, so you really have a clear picture of the college that will best suit your needs and personality. Since you will be attending this school for at least four years, you want to make sure the school is the right fit.
- How to Choose a College That’s Right for You – Read this helpful article and guide to assist you with deciding what college will be right for you.
- Choosing a College – Here are some suggestions to help you when choosing a college.
- How to Choose the Right College – This article has some good advice on choosing the right college.
- Finding a Good Fit – Use this guide to help you find the right fit for you when selecting a college.
- Picking the Right College – This brief article offers some good insight on picking the right college.
- Picking the Right College for You – Use this web page to help you think about what you want in an ideal college.
- College Selection Tips for Parents – Share this article with your parents regarding college selection.
How to Apply for College: Letters of Recommendation, Transcripts, and More
When you apply for college, there are many things that have to happen before your application can be approved. Some of these things include an entrance essay. This essay is essentially you in a nutshell: your goals and dreams, your background, and why you want to attend a specific college. Colleges also need your high school transcripts so they can see your prior classes and grades. Letters of recommendation are also often required from teachers, church members, or other influential adults in your life. Of course, don’t forget to take the SAT test, because most colleges utilize these scores to help determine whether or not you will be accepted. Most larger schools also require a completed application and application fees.
- How to Apply To College – This article helps explain the college application process.
- Applying 101 – This site discusses the basics of college applications.
- Applying to Schools – Here is some more information about applying to college.
- 15 Key College Admission Tips – Here are fifteen tips to help you when you apply to the college of your choice.
- What Students Should Know – This page has good information for students and what they need to know about applying for college.
- The College Search & Application Process – Here are some good resources and information about the college search and application process.
- Embark – This website is an excellent resource for students getting ready to enter college.
- Senior Year Checklist – Use this checklist in your senior year to help you learn how to apply and find the right college.
Paying for Schooling: Scholarships, Grants, Loans, & Financial Aid
Of course, paying for college is also extremely important. The cost of higher education is skyrocketing, so it’s essential to understand how to get the most out of your experience without paying the most out of pocket. Scholarships and grants offer students money that does not have to be paid back, but getting them is a process. Student loans can help you to pay for college, but they can collect interest over time and must be paid back. Fully understanding the scholarship, grant, and loan process will help you make the right choices and will make paying for college easier.
- 101 Ways to Pay for College – Here are some excellent suggestions to help you decide how to pay for college.
- Paying for College – This site offers a lot of helpful articles and resources so you can stay in the know about how to pay for college.
- Federal Student Aid – Learn more about the many federal student aid programs available here.
- FinAid! – This website is a great place to start when seeking out financial aid for college.
- 12 Tips on Paying for College in Tough Times – Everyone knows college is expensive; here’s some tips to help pay for it.
- Applying for Financial Aid – Here’s some great information on the financial aid application process.
- Saving for College – This website has some good advice on saving your money for college.
- Costly Myths & Mistakes – Here are some tips on what to avoid when deciding on how to pay for college.
- Pell Grants – Learn more about the federal Pell Grant here.